Hi, Gabrielle from Savvy Home here again! There are times when Vanessa and I have diametrically opposed taste and other times when I feel our styles meet perfectly in the middle. Interior designer Rita Konig‘s Manhattan apartment featured on The Selby is one of those placces that I feel is a perfect blend of both our tastes.
Her apartment has the kind of quirky new-traditional meets preppy look that I love, and the eclectic vintage bohemian vibe that Vanesssa loves. Bottom line, it features great ideas for decorating a rental apartment on a budget, which at the end of the day is something we’re both fans of.
1. Greys with a subtle hint of purple are the perfect moody neutrals. Try a color like Violet Dusk.
2. Always be ready for entertaining by having a well stocked drinks tray.
3. A touch of velvet adds richness and texture to any room.
4. Lamps really flatter a room. Try at least three lamps positioned in a triangular position around the room.
5. Layering rugs is a decorator’s best kept secret. Start with a large inexpensive sisal rug and layer a smaller colorful rug on top.
6. Speaking of rugs, vintage kilim rugs are colorful, fun and they’re inexpensive (try eBay)!
7. Fresh flowers will always brighten a room. Always.
8. Even in a small space, a large coffee table can do wonders. Use it do display your favorite items or host a cocktail party around it.
9. A gallery wall is a great way to add visual interest to a room. Finding a few pieces of smaller scale art in flea markets or online is also usually less expensive than investing in one large painting.
10. A comfortable chair is adamant to any living room, but it’s even more important when you don’t have the space for a deep comfy sofa.
How have you zhushed up your apartment on a budget?
See you next week!